Skip to Main Page Content
Home / Departments / Faculty Scholars / Types of J-1 Scholars

Types of J-1 Scholars

Short-Term Scholar

The short term scholar category is suitable for scholars coming to lecture, observe, consult and participate in seminars, workshops or conferences, and who will definitely leave the United States within six months. It is also suitable for scholars who may come and go to Arizona State University periodically for short visits. Extensions beyond six months are not allowed.

Professor and Research Scholar

Scholars in this category may be invited to collaborate in research projects, teach courses or give lectures or seminars. They may come for visits of up to five years. Renewal is on a yearly basis.


The specialist type is appropriate for visitors coming for visits of up to one year to consult, observe or demonstrate specialized knowledge or skills in which they are experts. Please consult with the ISSC for more details if you plan to use this category.

Student Intern

The J-1 Student Intern category is not to be confused with J-1 Students who are enrolled in a degree program at ASU. The J-1 Student Intern refers only to a student currently in a degree program abroad who visits ASU to engage in a research-based internship that is integral to the curriculum of the home-school degree program to which the intern will return. The J-1 Student Intern category is typically used when the student will not yet have the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree by the start of the internship.

J-1 Scholar CategoryMaximum Duration
Short-term6 months
Professor/Research Scholar Extended for a total of 5 consecutive years
Specialist12 months
J-1 Student Intern12 months