Skip to Main Page Content

TN Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Worker

Home / Departments / Hiring Hosting / TN Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Worker

NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement. It creates special economic and trade relationships for the United States, Canada and Mexico. The nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico to come to the U.S. to engage in specified professional activities under the provisions of the NAFTA Treaty that require at least a baccalaureate (bachelor's) degree or appropriate credentials demonstrating status as a professional. Only certain occupations (LINK) may serve as the basis for receiving TN status to work in the U.S.

Permanent residents, including Canadian permanent residents, are not able to apply to work as a NAFTA professional.

Canadian and Mexican citizens may enter the U.S. in TN status for up to 3 years. Upon completion of the initial time in TN status, an extension of stay may be requested for up to 3 years.

Canadian Citizens

Canadian citizens will apply for TN status at pre-flight inspection or a U.S. port of entry. They do not need to apply for or obtain a U.S. visa before being admitted into the U.S. in TN status. However, a Canadian residing in another country with a non-Canadian spouse and children would need a visa to enable the spouse and children to be able to apply for a visa to accompany or join the NAFTA Professional, as a TD visa holder.

Mexican Citizens

Mexican citizens will apply for and must obtain a TN visa at a U.S. consulate before being admitted into the U.S. in TN status.

Applying for a TN Visa

The U.S. Department of State provides information (LINK) on applying for a TN visa as a Mexican citizen or entering the U.S. in TN status as a Canadian citizen. Included in this information is an overview of TN status, requirements for both Canadian and Mexican citizens, how to apply for the actual TN visa, required documentation, and required visa fees.