Skip to Main Page Content

For Departments

Home / Departments / Students F J / Requesting a Social Security Number

Requesting a Social Security Number

When a F-1 or J-1 student has been hired for an on-campus job, they are eligible to apply for a social security number. F-1 and J-1 international students are required to have a SSN for tax reporting purposes in the United States. To apply for a SSN, students need an employment offer letter from the hiring department that will be certified by the ISSC. 

  • International students who are unemployed are not eligible for a SSN.
  • Students who were previously issued an SSN for another job do not need to request a new one. 

Employment Offer Letter

If a student requests an Employment Offer letter:

  1. Write the employment offer letter using the fillable template provided*. As of July 24, 2019, the ISSC and SSA will only accept this new letter template. The DSO signature and name should be left blank.  For questions regarding an Employer Identification Number (EIN), please contact your department’s business manager or Human Resources at 855-278-5081 or

  2. Print the letter (the best way to save the letter for your files is to print to PDF).

  3. Sign the letter in blue ink. An original signature is required by the Social Security Administration.

  4. Give the letter to the student to submit to the ISSC via an eForm request. The original offer letter is required by the ISSC for certification.

The ISSC will provide full instructions to the student on how to apply for SSN with the Social Security Administration.

*This form may not be fillable in all browsers and should be opened in either Chrome or Microsoft Edge.

Employer Letter Diagram