Skip to Main Page Content


Home / Employment / Students Fj / On-campus Employment

On-campus Employment

International students are allowed to work on-campus. If you are sponsored student (F-1 or J-1), please consult with your sponsor regarding the number of hours per week you are allowed to work.

Number of hours per week (immigration regulation)*
Fall20 hours per week
Spring20 hours per week
Summer break/Winter break40 hours per week

*Students cannot work more than 25 hours per week on average for the year (all positions, including stipend-paid jobs).


To be eligible for on-campus employment you must:


  • Employment must not interfere with full-time study (no work during class time).

  • Work only a total of 20 hours per week during the semester and 40 hours per week combined during the break.

  • Must be a student.

International students are eligible for work done and paid by Arizona State University and for work done and paid by ARAMARK Campus Dining and Follett Bookstore (commercial businesses on the campus that provide direct services to all ASU students). This includes:

  • Hourly jobs, Research Assistant (RA) and Teaching Assistant (TA) positions.

  • Stipend jobs however cannot work more than number of hours per week allowed.

  • Not eligible for Work-Study (federal subsidized program).

If you are not sure, please contact an ISSC advisor.

Finding a Job

  • Search ASU Student Employment for hourly positions.

  • Ask your ASU academic unit for assistantship positions.

  • Search jobs with ARAMARK and Follett at ASU.

  • Go to ASU Career Services for assistance with resume writing and interview skills.

Starting Your Job

New and transfer students (first semester at ASU)

First, be sure you have completed your SEVIS New Student Check-in eForm through My ASU so that the ISSC can process SEVIS Registration to activate your SEVIS record.

F-1 Students

  1. Apply for a  social security number (if you don't already have one).

  2. Complete your New Hire Packet from ASU Human Resources or any required paperwork from ARAMARK or Follett human resources.

Make sure to file your U.S. Tax Return by the deadline each year you work. 

J-1 Students

DS-2019 issued by ASU

Government sponsored students:

MasterCard Foundation Scholars (Bachelor degree program):

  • Receive approval from the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program.
  • Complete and submit J-1 On-campus Employment Authorization eForm to the ISSC. After the eForm is submitted, an automatic email will be sent to MasterCard at ASU to review and approve.
  • Make sure to file your U.S. Tax Return by the deadline each year you work.

Exchange Students through ASU Study Abroad Office:

DS-2019 not issued by ASU

  • Contact your J-1 program sponsor to receive permission to engage in on-campus employment.
  • Submit the on-campus employment authorization letter to the ISSC, so that we can keep it on your record.
  • Make sure to file your U.S. Tax Return by the deadline each year you work.