Home / J-1 Scholars / Overview

There are several visa statuses that can allow scholars to be employed by ASU. 

The following webpages will have more information on the various visa statuses.

J-1 scholar

J-1 scholars (Professor, Research Scholar, Short-Term Scholar or Specialist) are limited to employment in the U.S. in the position described on their DS-2019 form. The occasional lecture or short-term consultation is permitted, but only with prior written approval from a J-1 Alternate/Responsible Officer, who represents the J-1 sponsor and issues the DS-2019 forms.

J-2 dependents

J-2 dependents will need to apply for an Employment Authorization Document, or EAD card, which will allow them to work in any job, full-time or part-time.

Social Security Number

In the U.S. an SSN is issued to track earnings over a worker’s lifetime. Scholars who are employed in the U.S. must apply for an SSN.  International scholars who are unemployed are ineligible for an SSN.

H-1B temporary specialty occupation

The H-1B category allows for the temporary employment of an alien as a professional in a specialty occupation. This is defined by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as an occupation requiring practical application of a body of specialized knowledge along with at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.

Permanent resident

There are many ways to become a permanent resident, including through self-sponsorship or sponsorship by others such as family members or employers. The ISSC is responsible for the majority of employer-sponsored petitions for permanent residence for employees of ASU.

Other visa categories

TN Mexican and Canadian Citizens, E-3 Australian and O-1 Individuals.