If you are an F-1 student interested in off-campus employment opportunities prior to graduation, you will need work authorization. You will be eligible for off-campus employment only after you receive approval for Pre-Optional Practical Training or Curricular Practical Training. To be eligible for either option, you must maintain your F-1 status for a minimum of one academic year in your current degree program. Pre-Optional Practical TrainingGenerally, F-1 students are eligible for a total of 12 months of OPT per degree level. The time requested for Pre-OPT will be deducted from the 12 months of Post-OPT. The proposed employment must be in your field of study. Applying for Pre-OPT We recommend applying for Pre-OPT at least 100 days prior to your requested session start date. If you plan on working this summer using Pre-OPT, please apply now.   Curricular Practical TrainingCurricular Practical Training is a type of off-campus employment authorization available for F-1 students who have an internship course as an integral part of their established curriculum. The proposed employment must meet one of the following requirements: Internship is required of all candidates for a particular degree program. Internship is required of a particular student's degree program as a planned option in their degree plan. We recommend applying for CPT at least 10 working days before the start of the requested session.  Applying for CPT  You must be enrolled in an internship course as required or approved by your academic unit. Each academic unit has unique internship requirements. Please contact the International Students and Scholars Center with any questions at 480-727-4776 or issc@asu.edu.