Now that the spring 2022 semester is over, ASU’s International Students and Scholars Center would like to wish you a successful and safe summer! If you are deciding whether to travel during the summer break, we want to provide you with important information. 

Travel reminders

COVID-19 test requirements

As a reminder, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention requires all travelers flying into the U.S. from abroad to submit a negative COVID-19 test prior to being permitted to enter the U.S. The viral test will need to be taken within 24 hours prior to your flight departure date to the U.S. If you do not provide proof of a negative test or documentation of recovery, you will be denied boarding onto your flight.

Refer to the CDC website for more detailed information about this requirement. 

COVID-19 vaccination requirements

Students planning to re-enter the U.S. must be fully vaccinated in order to enter the U.S. Any ASU student not yet vaccinated can receive vaccines for free on campus at any ASU Health Services location. ASU Health Services has locations on all four campuses, and you can make an appointment through the patient health portal or walk in. 

Review the CDC’s website for a list of acceptable vaccines and other important information.  

Travel assistance

ASU wants to ensure that when you are ready to travel to the U.S., you have a smooth experience. Before you travel, be sure to download, print and read the following letters carefully. Remember to bring them in your carry-on luggage during your travels.

Need a travel signature? 

If you are a student with a continued attendance I-20 and are planning to travel back to the U.S., remember to check page 2 of your I‐20 or page 1 of your DS‐2019 for a valid travel signature. You can review our website for additional documentation required when re-entering the U.S.

If you are traveling within the U.S., you do not need a travel signature, but you must carry identification documents with you, including your I‐20 or DS‐2019, a printout of your I‐94, and a valid passport.

How to get a travel signature

Submit your travel signature request for your I-20 or DS-2019 document using the ISSC self-service portal. Remember that a travel signature is NOT required to depart the U.S. It is only required when re-entering.