Greetings from the International Students and Scholars Center. Our records indicate you are on a visa status that will expire when you turn 21 years old. We are reaching out in advance of this expiration to tell you about the process to change your visa status to F-1, which can take up to one year to approve. Taking care of this early may assist with the continuation of your studies at ASU. There are typically two ways to change your visa to F-1:

  1. Consular processing: Involves traveling to your home country with an I-20 document to obtain an F-1 student visa at a U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate.
  2. Change of status: Allows a student to remain in the U.S. while the visa is changed from your current visa type to an F-1 student visa. This process takes up to one year to approve.

If you wish to change your visa status to F-1, please join Virtual Drop-In Advising to speak with an ISSC staff member. To learn more about Virtual Drop-In Advising, please visit our advising webpage.