Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
The Tempe Community Council Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program has arranged for trained volunteers to assist Arizona State University’s international students in preparing and filing their tax returns.
You are eligible to attend a VITA group workshop if any of the following apply to you:
- Earned income from ASU and hold an F-1 or J-1 visa (including staff, researchers, scholars, TAs/RAs and student workers) or are a scholarship or fellowship recipient, and received a Sprintax code from ISSC.
- Earned income from on-campus employment through Aramark or the Sun Devil Campus Stores, and requested and received a Sprintax code from the ISSC.
- Been in the U.S. less than five years and earned an annual income less than $60,000.
If you did not earn any income from U.S. sources during the 2018 tax year and will be submitting only IRS Form 8843, then you do not need to access Sprintax or attend a VITA tax workshop.
VITA volunteers will guide you through the preparation of your federal and state tax returns using Sprintax. All group workshops will be held on the Tempe campus in the Computing Commons building, room 212, on the following days and times:
For international students from India:
Tuesday, March 12, 6 – 8 p.m.
Friday, March 15, 1 – 3 p.m.
Monday, March 25, 6 – 8 p.m.
For all other international students:
Tuesday, March 19, 6 – 8 p.m.
Friday, March 22, 1 – 3 p.m.
For international students who used TurboTax and need to file an amended return:
Tuesday, March 26, 6 – 8 p.m.
To attend a VITA group workshop, you must RSVP no later than the day before the workshop is scheduled. Please bring the following to the workshop:
- A laptop to use (sharing of laptops is not allowed).
- Your immigration documents: I-20/DS-2019, passport, I-94 form.
- If your employment is through ASU, your Sprintax access code, which you received via email on Feb. 11, 2019.
- An access code if you are employed by Aramark or the Sun Devil Campus Stores. (Please email email@example.com to request an access code).
- Social Security numbers for all family members.
- All tax documents you have received, including a Form W-2 from all states in which income was earned in 2018, Form 1042-S, Form 1098-T, Form 1099 INT for bank account interest, any other tax-related documents and your 2017 tax return. (If you are married, please bring all similar documents for your spouse.)
Please arrive early. Workshops are scheduled to begin promptly at the start time. Students who arrive after the session has begun will not be allowed to participate.