Your next steps after graduation

Congratulations from the International Students and Scholars Center on completing your degree program at Arizona State University!

As an F-1 student, you are given a 60-day grace period after your degree completion date. During your grace period, you may choose to apply for Optional Practical Training, start a new degree program at ASU, transfer to a new institution, apply for a change in visa status or leave the U.S.

Please keep in mind that on-campus employment cannot continue after your degree completion date, which for most students will be May 8, 2023. This includes RA, TA and GSA positions.

If you will not be graduating as planned, please contact the ISSC as soon as possible to discuss your options. 

Apply for Optional Practical Training

If you want to work in the U.S., your application for OPT must be received by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services no later than 60 days after your degree completion date.

As a reminder, your ASU student health insurance will end on Aug. 15. It is strongly recommended that you continue health insurance coverage after this time through your employer or a private insurer.

Apply for OPT 

Start a new program at ASU

If you are admitted to a new program at ASU, you must request an I-20 from the ISSC reflecting your new degree program at ASU.

Degree programs 

Transfer to a new institution

If you are admitted to a new institution, you must contact the ISSC to begin your SEVIS record transfer process.


Apply for a change of status

If you have applied to change your immigration status, you should contact the ISSC immediately after receiving a Notice of Action from USCIS to get your record updated in SEVIS.

Change your status 

Leave the U.S.

If you have completed your degree and do not choose one of the options above, you will have a 60-day grace period during which you must depart the U.S. If you decide to leave the U.S., please complete the Reporting Student Exit from ASU eForm so we can update your SEVIS record.

Get the exit form 

You are advised to keep your immigration documents indefinitely, including all of your I-20s. The ISSC keeps student files only for a limited period of time and will not be able to assist with requests for documents or verification of student status after these files have been destroyed.

Get Career Services support

Whether you are working, going to graduate school or anything in between, Career Services would like to hear from you. Take a moment to complete the ASU first destination survey through Handshake. The insights you share will help the university grow and expand the services we offer to students and alumni.