Skip to Main Page Content

Maintaining Status

Home / Status / Scholar / Extending Your Status (J-1 Scholar)

Extending Your Status

If you need to extend you stay in the U.S., your host department will submit an application for an extension of your status directly to ASU ISSC. Check below for the maximum amount of time allowed for your visa category before working with your department and gathering the documentation required for an extension.

J-1 Scholar Category

Maximum Duration


6 months

Professor/Research Scholar

Extended for a total of 5 consecutive years


12 months

J-1 Student Intern

12 months

Funding Documentation

If you are eligible for an extension, you may be required to submit funding to your department. Funding documentation should show your ability to cover current estimates of monthly living expenses1

How to show documentation of funds:

  • an official dated bank statement must be provided
  • all accounts must be easily accessible and liquid assets
  • all documents must be in English (otherwise, an official English translation must accompany the original)
  • all supporting documentation must be dated within the last six months
  • letters of sponsorship must include exact amount of support and dates of sponsorship

Estimates of monthly living expenses:

  • $1,400/month for the J-1

  • $350/month for J-2 spouse

  • $350/month per J-2 child over 13 and $200/month per J-2 child under 13