Skip to Main Page Content

Maintaining Status

Home / Status / Students / Guidelines to Maintaining Lawful Status

Guidelines to Maintaining Lawful Status

Individuals on an F-1 or J-1 immigration status must adhere to the following rules to maintain their status.

Failure to maintain F-1/J-1 student status will cause your immigration record to be terminated in SEVIS. Terminated records are subject to US Immigration and Customs Enforcement review which could result in deportation and a 3- or 10-year reentry bar provisions per USCIS Memo Guidance  effective August 9, 2018.

Number 1 graphic

Keep your I-20 or DS-2019 valid

The I-20/DS-2019 identifies you as a student at ASU - keep your I-20/DS-2019 valid at all times. 

  • If this document is lost or damaged, please request a replacement from the ISSC.
  • If any information on the form changes (name, major, program end date) please notify the ISSC.
  • If you cannot complete your degree program by your I-20/DS-2019 expiration date, you must submit the extension request to the ISSC before that date

This document can be invalidated should you fail to follow the terms and conditions. Read page three of your I-20.

Keep your original I-20s or DS-2019s indefinitely.

Number two graphic

Keep your passport valid

This is your legal identification in the U.S. All other government documents are based upon your passport.

  • Regularly check your expiration date and request a renewal from your country’s embassy at least six months before it expires.

Number 3 graphic

Keep your I-94 admission number/record valid

This document is proof of your legal F-1 or J-1 status in the U.S.

  • If you enter the U.S. by plane, you have to access an electronic I-94 online from Customs and Border Protection.
  • If you enter to the US by land or sea, you will get an I-94 card (small white paper stapled inside your passport).

Your I-94 must indicate D/S which means that you got admitted to the U.S. and your F-1 or J-1 status is valid until the Duration of Status date.

Your Duration of Status in the United States is based upon the time required to complete your degree.

Number four graphic

Keep your LOCAL address updated

If you move, update your residential address here in the U.S. within 10 days. You can easily update you address in My ASU. Please follow the example below when updating your address.

Address update graphic

Number five graphic

Keep your F-1/J-1 visa on hand

Your visa serves as an entry ticket into the U.S. It does not need to be valid while you are in the U.S.

  • Located in your passport, this is required for entry into the U.S.
  • Your visa can only be renewed outside of the U.S. You need to renew when it expires before returning to the U.S.

Canadian citizenship does not require a U.S. visa.

Number six graphic

Follow employment regulations

On-campus employment

  • F-1 students are allowed to work on-campus for 20 hours per week during the semester and 40 hours per week during breaks. The average total per year cannot be exceed 25 hours per week.
  • J-1 students must receive permission from their J-1 program sponsor prior to working on-campus.

Off-campus employment

International students cannot work off-campus without employment authorization from ISSC and USCIS.

Number Seven graphic

Maintain valid health insurance

Health insurance is mandatory and automatically billed to your ASU billing account every semester

The Department of State requires J-1 and J-2 to obtain valid health insurance. 



Medical Coverage

$100,000 per accident or illness

Medical Evacuation


Repatriation of Remains



$500 per accident or illness


Ensure that your demographic information is correct

Your demographic information includes your name, date of birth, gender, country of citizenship, and country of birth.  

If your legal name changes or you find incorrect information on your I-20 or DS-2019 you will need to complete and submit the F-1 Demographic Update or the J-1 Demographic Update eForm to have this information updated/corrected.  In the event of a leagal name change, you must first have your passport corrected as the ISSC will use your passport's biographical page as confirmation for the update.

This eForm can also be used to:

  • Update or add your Social Security Number (SSN) or ITIN to your ASU student record.  The eForm will ask you to upload a copy of your Social Security Card or ITIN document
    • If you are currently working on-campus contact ASU Human Resources or Aramark/Follett human resources to make the update.
  • Provide the ISSC with a copy of your new or updated passport.

This request can take up to 10 business days to process.

Additional Information

Degree Completion

Here’s what you need to know about the grace period.

Dual Enrollment

Taking courses at another college while attending ASU. Learn about enrollment at another institution.