Skip to Main Page Content

How to Bring Your Dependent(s)

Home / Students / Overview

F-1 and J-1 international students are eligible to bring their spouse and/or children to the United States. 

  • If you are in your first semester at ASU, you may request to add a dependent after you have been in the U.S. for 30 days.  

  • Continuing students may request to add a dependent at any time during the semester.

F-1 Students 

How to request an F-2 Dependent I-20

1.  Gather the following required documents:

  • Valid Financial Guarantee

  • Copy of your original marriage certificate for your spouse*

  • Copy of an original birth certificate for an unmarried child under 21 years old*

  • Copy of your dependent(s) passport

*If these documents are not in English, please provide a certified translation. 

2. Verify that your LOCAL address in My ASU is your current residential address.  

3.  Submit the F-2 Dependent Request eForm

  • If additional information or documentation is needed, the ISSC will contact you directly by email or phone.

  • You will receive an email from the ISSC when your dependent(s) I-20 is ready.

4. Once your dependent receives their I-20 they must apply for an F-2 visa. There are two ways in which to apply for an F-2 visa:

  1. Apply for an F-2 visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad. Enter the U.S. with an F-2 dependent I-20 using an approved F-2 visa. The new immigration status will be activated when they arrive or return to the U.S.

  2. Apply for change of status through USCIS. You must review the eligibility requirements and consult with an advisor to see whether this option is available for your dependent or not.

How to request a Dependent DS-2019

If you are a J-1 Student and wish to add a dependent, please email for further advisement. 

F-2/J-2 students

Work Permissions for F-2/J-2 Dependents

  • Dependents on F-2 visas are prohibited from working on or off-campus by USCIS regulations.

  • J-2 visa holders can work once they obtain an Employment Authorization Document from USCIS.

Primary and Secondary School Enrollment for F-2/J-2 Dependents

  • F-2/J-2 dependent children of primary or secondary school age are eligible for public schools; contact the school in your area for enrollment details.

  • F-2 spouses can engage in study at a certified University in the United States as long as they are enrolled in less than a full course of study.

  • F-2 spouses should file for a change of status to an F-1 status if they are admitted to a university program and wish to study full time.

  • J-2 dependents may study while in the United States.

Health and Accident Insurance for F-2/J-2 Dependents

Although current regulations do not require F-2 Dependents to carry health and accident insurance, it is anticipated that coverage will soon become mandatory. Due to the high cost of healthcare in the U.S., insurance for dependents is highly recommended.

J-2 Dependents must have health insurance.  Department of State requires J-1 and J-2 students to obtain valid health insurance. The requirements are: 

Coverage: Requirement:
Medical Coverage$100,000 per accident or illness
Medical Evacuation$50,000
Repatriation of Remains$25,000
Deductiblenot to exceed $500 per accident or illness