You must maintain immigration status and have valid immigration documents (passport, I-94, and DS-2019).
You have completed at least one semester and must be in good academic standing.
You must maintain valid health insurance (including J-2 dependents, if applicable) throughout the authorized Academic Training period.
You must receive an offer for work or training prior to applying for Academic Training authorization.
The proposed work or training must meet the eligibility criteria.
The criteria of work or training that meet the Academic Training eligibility requirements are:
Must be related to your field of study as listed on your DS-2019.
Must not be an unskilled occupation as defined by the U.S. Department of State.
Must start no later than 30 days after degree completion date (for Academic Training after completing a degree program).
When to apply
You should apply as soon as you get a job offer. If you are graduating, you have to apply at least 10 business days before the end of your 30 day grace period or before your DS-2019 expiration date, whichever comes first.
How to apply
Obtain a written offer of employment from your prospective employer.
The letter must include job title, company name, start date and end date, location of work or physical address, job description, supervisor name, supervisor email address and/or phone number, and pay.
Meet with your academic advisor or the Dean of your department to complete the Academic Recommendation Form
- You must use the ISSC form from the application materials received from the ISSC.
- Prepare to discuss with your academic advisor your Academic Training goals and objectives, how the training relates to your major/program field of study, and why the training is an integral or critical part of your academic program.
Submit the following documents to the ISSC.
- Written offer of employment.
- AT Request and Academic Recommendation form.
- Copy of valid passport.
- Copy of I-94.
- Valid proof of funding or financial guarantee for living expenses (for unpaid or volunteer positions).
- Valid proof of health insurance, that meets U.S. Department of State requirements (the minimum requirement is listed on the second page of your DS-2019).
Pick up Academic Training letter and new updated DS-2019 from the ISSC.
- Academic Training letter and DS-2019 with Academic Training information are proof of off-campus work authorization for the requested employer only.