Skip to Main Page Content

Maintaining status

Home / Students / Getting started

As an ASU student, you will need to maintain your F-1 and J-1 status. The ISSC is here to advise and assist you in maintaining your status.

Familiarize yourself with the points below: 


Enrollment (FTE)

  • Full-time enrollment - you must be enrolled full-time by the start of the fall and spring semesters, and maintain a full-time enrollment throughout the entire semester

  • Reduced Course Load - you may request a Reduced Course Load in certain circumstances. 

  • Additional coursework outside of ASU (ACOA) - if you are looking to take additional courses outside of ASU


Keep contact info current

  • If you move, you must update your residential address via MyASU within 10 days.  Please follow the example below. (include how to with graphics from MyASU)

  • Your demographic information includes your name, date of birth, gender, country of citizenship, and country of birth. If you update this information, submit an e F-1 Demographic Update or the J-1 Demographic Update eForm to ISSC.


Keep immigration documents current

Keep your I-20 or DS-2019 valid

The I-20/DS-2019 identifies you as a student at ASU - keep your I-20/DS-2019 valid at all times. 

  • If this document is lost or damaged, please request a replacement from the ISSC.
  • If any information on the form changes (name, major, program end date) please notify the ISSC.
  • If you cannot complete your degree program by your I-20/DS-2019 expiration date, you must submit the extension request to the ISSC before that date

This document can be invalidated should you fail to follow the terms and conditions. Read page three of your I-20.

Keep your original I-20s or DS-2019s indefinitely.

Keep your passport valid

This is your legal identification in the U.S. All other government documents are based upon your passport.

  • Regularly check your expiration date and request a renewal from your country’s embassy at least six months before it expires.

Keep your I-94 admission number/record valid

This document is proof of your legal F-1 or J-1 status in the U.S.

  • If you enter the U.S. by plane, you have to access an electronic I-94 online from Customs and Border Protection.
  • If you enter to the US by land or sea, you will get an I-94 card (small white paper stapled inside your passport).

Your I-94 must indicate D/S which means that you got admitted to the U.S. and your F-1 or J-1 status is valid until the Duration of Status date.

Your Duration of Status in the United States is based upon the time required to complete your degree.



Health Insurance

Health insurance is mandatory and automatically billed to your ASU billing account every semester.


While on authorized employment (CPT and OPT)


Requesting New I-20

      1. Change Major/Program/Level
        1. Undergrad Graduate Concurrent  


An updated I-20 is required when you change your major. To request an updated I-20 please send an e-mail within 10 days of the change to with the subject line: Change of Program. You will receive an email notification to pick up your I-20 from the ISSC within 10 business days after we receive your e-mail.


Change of Program or Concentration

When you change your program or concentration, a hold is placed on your account to prompt a review of the change as you may be required to receive an updated I-20.

Please send an e-mail within 10 days of the change to with the subject line:  Change of Program.

You will receive an email notification from the ISSC within 10 business days with the result of our review and instructions to pick up your new I-20 if required. Your hold will be removed at this time.

Change of Education Level (CEL) with Degree Completion (including 4+1and IADP)

An I-20 is required when you have completed one degree program and will begin another degree program (e.g. Bachelor's to Master's, Master's to Doctorate or Master's to Master's).

Who will issue your new I-20?

When will your new program begin?

Within 5 months of completing your prior degree or Optional Practical Training:

International Students and Scholars Center

Request your CEL I-20 by submitting the New Degree I-20 Request eForm.  

The New Degree I-20 Request must be submitted to the ISSC before your 60 day grace period ends and before the start date of the new semester. If you have not requested and received your new degree I-20 by the end of your 60 day grace period, please contact the ISSC for immigration advice.

OPTIONAL PRACTICAL TRAINING: If you are active on Optional Practical Training (OPT) your work authorization will end on the day your new degree I-20 is issued. You may choose any date up to one week prior to the start of your new degree.

Your New Degree I-20 request must be submitted to the ISSC before the 60 day grace period following your OPT ends.

TRAVEL:  Your new degree I-20 cannot be produced prior to the completion of your current degree.  Returning to the USA will require that you have your new degree I-20.  Please review the ISSC’s mailing options to receive your new I-20 outside the US.

 More than 5 months after completing your degree or Optional Practical Training:

ASU Admission Services

 Follow the prompts in your Priority Tasks on My ASU to request your new initial I-20.

Change of Education Level without Degree Completion

If you change from a Doctoral degree to a Master’s degree or from a Master’s degree to a Doctoral degree without completing the previous degree you will need an updated I-20.

        • To receive your updated I-20 you or your advisor must submit to an Academic Advisor Letter that includes your new anticipated completion date (MM/DD/YYYY).  Completion date used for graduate students is the defense date or date of dissertation approval after the defense, comprehensive exam date or result date, project defense, or whichever option the student has for the degree program to be completed.
        • Once you have submitted all requested materials, you can expect to receive your updated I-20 within 10 business days.



You may enroll in a concurrent major or concurrent program. We recommend that you complete both programs in the same amount of time. If you cannot complete both programs in the same amount of time, please consult with an ISSC International Student Advisor for further information on the immigration implications.

Your primary major or program is stated on your I-20. This major is important, as it will affect your future benefits such as Optional Practical Training (OPT).

    1. Extensions - Is your current I-20 or DS-2019 about to expire?  If so, you must obtain an extension in order to continue your studies.


    2. Lost/Stolen/Damaged - has your I-20 or DS-2019 been lost, stolen or damaged? 


    3. Returning Student - if you took a break from ASU and would like to return to complete your studies.