Skip to Main Page Content

Visa and Travel

Home / Travel / Student / Canada, Mexico and Adjacent Islands for F/J

F/J Travel to Canada, Mexico, Adjacent Islands

F-1/J-1 visa holders whose visa has expired may be able to return to the U.S. after traveling to Mexico, Canada and neighboring islands/U.S. territories under the following conditions:

The automatic visa revalidation process re-validates that you are eligible to enter to the U.S. for this single trip. It is not considered a new admission to the U.S. nor a renewal of a visa.

This benefit also applies to non-immigrants who have changed to F status in the United States, whose visa is still in the category which they used to enter the United States.