Skip to Main Page Content

Visa and Travel

Home / Travel / Students Fj / Travel outside the U.S.

Travel Outside the U.S.

When planning to travel outside of the U.S., please check the travel endorsement page of your I-20/DS-2019 for a valid travel signature by a designated school official or alternate responsible officer from ASU ISSC.

  • Signatures are valid for one year from the date of last signature, or 6 months for students on Post-OPT. If the signature will be expired on the date that you return to the U.S., students should submit a travel signature request to ASU ISSC as soon as possible to obtain a valid travel signature.
  • If you plan to travel to a country other than your own, you should contact the consulate of that country to find out if you need a visa.
  • If your visa is expired or will not be valid when you return, you will need to renew your visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad.

You must have the following documents to return to the U.S. in student or exchange visitor status:

  1. Valid F-1 or J-1 visa.

  2. ASU I-20 or DS-2019 with travel signature endorsed within 1 year.

  3. Passport, valid six months into the future.

  4. Enrollment verification and ASU unofficial transcript.

After you arrive back in the U.S., you should check your I-94 record