Skip to main content
off campus employment

Off-campus employment authorization reminder

Greetings from the International Students and Scholars Center at Arizona State University. As a reminder, a Social Security number (SSN) is required for you to work in the U.S., but does not authorize you to work off campus without a specific work authorization.  

Working off campus without authorization will put your immigration status in jeopardy. F-1 students are not permitted to work at local restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations or other similar locales. If you wish to work off campus, please review our website regarding the authorizations available to you.  

Once you have secured employment, you will be eligible to apply for a Social Security number if you do not already have one. 

You do not need an SSN to open a bank account, rent an apartment, start a mobile phone contract or obtain a credit card.

Have questions? Contact the ISSC.

Image removed.

Send an email 

Image removed.

Give us a call


Image removed.

Virtual drop-in immigration advising

Mondays 9–11 a.m.

Tuesdays 1–3 p.m.

Thursdays 9–11 a.m.

Fridays 1–3 p.m.

(Arizona time)

Image removed.

In-person drop-in immigration advising

Mondays 1–3 p.m.

Tuesdays 9–11 a.m.

Thursdays 1–3 p.m.

Fridays 9–11 a.m.

(Arizona time)