Skip to main content

Important information about your visa status

Greetings from the International Students and Scholars Center. For those who have a visa that will expire after they turn 21, we are reaching out to you in advance of the expiration date to tell you about the process to change your visa status to F-1, which can help you continue to study at ASU. It’s important to remember that the process can take up to one year to approve.

There are typically two ways to change your visa to F-1:

  1. Consular processing: This method involves traveling to your home country with an I-20 document to obtain an F-1 student visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy.
  2. Change of status: This method allows a student to remain in the U.S. while the visa is changed from your current visa type to an F-1 student visa. This process can take up to one year to approve.

If you wish to change your visa status to F-1, please connect with an ISSC advisor during drop-in advising hours to discuss the timing and procedure for your change of visa status.


Have questions? Contact the ISSC.

Send an email

Give us a call


Virtual drop-in immigration advising

Mondays 9–11 a.m.

Tuesdays 1–3 p.m.

Thursdays 9–11 a.m.

Fridays 1–3 p.m.

(Arizona Time)

In-person drop-in immigration advising

Mondays 1–3 p.m.

Tuesdays 9–11 a.m.

Thursdays 1–3 p.m.

Fridays 9-11 a.m.

(Arizona Time)


We also want to remind you that ASU and ISSC will be closed Dec. 25 and 26, 2023, and Jan. 1, 2024.