Learn about your J-1 scholar status

The J-1 classification (exchange visitors) is authorized for those who intend to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or receiving graduate medical education or training.

In carrying out the responsibilities of the Exchange Visitor Program, the Department of State designates public and private entities to act as exchange sponsors. J-1 nonimmigrants are therefore sponsored by an exchange program that is designated as such by the U.S. Department of State.

These programs are designed to promote the interchange of persons, knowledge and skills in the fields of education, arts and science.

For more information, you can make an appointment with an ISSC staff member, contact the ISSC at 480-727-7125 or internationalscholars@asu.edu.

J-1 Scholar Handbook

Use this guide to find services near you in Arizona in regards to housing, healthcare, transportation, etc.

If you are interested in other housing resources, please click HERE