Skip to main content
Your options and next steps

Congratulations! The International Students and Scholars Center would like to congratulate you for completing your degree program at Arizona State University.  

As an F-1 student, you are given a 60-day grace period after your degree completion date. During your grace period, you may choose to apply for Optional Practical Training, start a new degree program at ASU, transfer to a new institution, apply for a change in visa status, or leave the U.S. Please keep in mind that on-campus employment cannot continue after degree completion.

Apply for Optional Practical Training

If you want to work in the U.S., your application for OPT must be received by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services no later than 60 days after your degree completion date.

As a reminder, your ASU student health insurance will end on August 15. It is strongly recommended that you continue health insurance coverage after this time through your employer or a private insurer.

Apply for OPT

Start a new program at ASU

If you are admitted to a new program at ASU, you must request an I-20 from the ISSC reflecting your new degree program at ASU.

Degree programs

Transfer to a new institution

If you are admitted to a new institution, you must contact the ISSC to begin your SEVIS record transfer process.


Apply for a change of status

If you have applied to change your immigration status, you should contact the ISSC immediately after receiving a Notice of Action from USCIS to get your record updated in SEVIS.

Change your status

Leave the U.S.

If you have completed your degree and do not choose one of the options above, you will have a 60-day grace period during which you must depart the U.S. If you decide to leave the U.S., please complete the Reporting Student Exit from ASU eForm so we can update your SEVIS record.

Get the exit form (button)

Get the exit form

You are advised to keep your immigration documents indefinitely, including all of your I-20s. 

The ISSC keeps student files only for a limited period of time and will not be able to assist with requests for documents or verification of student status after these files have been destroyed.