Skip to main content
f-1 student on campus employment

Employment authorization reminder

Welcome to a new academic year at Arizona State University!

As an F-1 visa holder in the U.S., you are eligible to work on campus when you are enrolled in classes at ASU. Working on campus enables you to gain valuable professional work experience, as well as the ability to make money to support your studies.  

To be eligible to work on campus, you must meet full-time enrollment requirements or have an approved Reduced Course Load Request for the fall 2023 semester. You do not need additional sponsorship from ASU to work on campus. 

As a reminder, working off campus without authorization will put your immigration status in jeopardy. F-1 students are not permitted to work at local restaurants, grocery stores or gas stations.  If you wish to work off campus, please review our website regarding the authorizations available to you.  

Once you have secured on-campus employment, you will be eligible to apply for a Social Security number if you do not already have one. An SSN is required for you to work in the U.S., but does not authorize you to work off campus.

You do not need an SSN to open a bank account, rent an apartment, start a mobile phone contract or obtain a credit card.

Have questions? Contact the ISSC.

Image removed.

Send an email 

Image removed.

Give us a call


Image removed.

Virtual drop-in immigration advising

Mondays 9–11 a.m.

Tuesdays 1–3 p.m.

Thursdays 9–11 a.m.

Fridays 1–3 p.m.

(Arizona time)

Image removed.

In-person drop-in immigration advising

Mondays 1–3 p.m.

Tuesdays 9–11 a.m.

Thursdays 1–3 p.m.

Fridays 9–11 a.m.

(Arizona time)