Skip to main content

On-campus employment

F-1 students are generally allowed to work on-campus for a limited number of hours per week.

J-1 students must receive on-campus employment authorization from their Exchange Visitor Program Sponsors.

  Number of hours per week (immigration regulation)*
Fall/Spring 20 hours per week
Summer Semester/Winter break 40 hours per week


  • You are not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week during the Fall or Spring semester. 

  • If you have more than one employer, you are only allowed to work for a total of 20 hours per week combined during the semester and 40 hours per week combined during the summer semester/winter break. 

  • You may not average more than 25 hours per week for the year.  This includes all positions (hourly or stipend). 

Eligibility and Requirements

To be eligible for on-campus employment you must:

  • Maintain your immigration status

    • Maintain full time enrollment.

      •  If you are completing your degree and have less than the required 12 (undergraduate study) or 9 (graduate study) credits remaining to earn your degree, you must have ISSC approval for a Reduced Course Load.

    • NOTE: For on-campus employment during summer semester or winter break, you must be enrolled full-time or have an approved Reduced Course Load for the following Fall or Spring semester.

    • If summer is your final semester, you must be enrolled in summer session.

  • For J-1 students, you must receive an on-campus employment authorization from your Exchange Visitor Program Sponsor.

On-campus Employment Requirements

  • Employment must not interfere with full-time study. You cannot work during your class times.

  • You are not allowed to work beyond your degree completion date:

    • Undergraduate student - commencement date. Please refer to ASU’s by viewing the Academic Calendar

    • Graduate student - last day of final academic activity

    • Students who will complete their final course(s) in Summer - last day of summer class

Types of Permitted On-campus Employment

  • Eligible for hourly positions, Research Assistant (RA) and Teaching Assistant (TA) positions

  • Can work for stipend positions however cannot work more than 20 hours per week during Spring and Fall semesters or more than 40 hours per week during the summer semester.

  • Can work for Aramark at ASU Campus Dining, and Follette Bookstore at ASU

  • Not eligible for federal work study positions

Government-sponsored students:

Exchange Students through ASU Global Education Office:

DS-2019 not issued by ASU

  • Contact your J-1 program sponsor to receive permission to engage in on-campus employment.
  • Email the on-campus employment authorization letter to the ISSC at, so that we can keep it on your record.
  • Make sure to file your U.S. Tax Return by the deadline each year you work.

Getting ready to start a job

For J-1 students who have a DS-2019 issued by ASU, you must submit J-1 On-campus Employment eForm 

For new F-1 or J-1 students, you must complete SEVIS check-in eForm, and receive Continued Attendance I-20 from the ISSC before you can visit Human Resources. 

For job during summer semester or winter breaks, pre-enroll full-time or submit Reduced Course Load eForm to the ISSC (if applicable) for the following fall or spring semester