Requesting a Reduced Course Load

Home / F-1/J-1 students / Reduced course load

To maintain F-1 status, international students must be enrolled in a full course of study at the start of the fall and spring semesters. You may request a Reduced Course Load (RCL) in the following circumstances:

Students in their final semester of study.

    Graduate students who have completed all coursework, all research hours and all dissertation hours are required to take one continuing registration credit.

    Students with a medical issue in the current semester. 
    If you would like to request a reduced course load based on medical reasons, please consult with an advisor as soon as possible. Medical documentation is required to apply and must be signed by a medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, or a clinical psychologist.


    The Reduced Course Load eForm will be available on November 1, 2021, for the Spring 2022 semester at the MyISSC eForm Portal.


    *An RCL is not required if your remaining credits are online as these will need to be completed outside of the U.S. 

    *An RCL is not required for the summer semester.