You can travel inside or outside of the U.S. while you are studying or working. However, you need to ensure that you follow certain regulations to travel safely, and plan ahead to avoid any delays.
Travel While on Post-Completion OPT or STEM-OPT Extension
If you are completing Post-OPT or STEM-OPT Extension, your travel signature is only valid for six months from the date of the last signature or until the end date on your EAD card, whichever comes first.
*The ISSC does not recommend traveling while an OPT application is pending with USCIS.*
When planning to travel outside of the U.S., on Post-OPT or STEM-OPT, be prepared to take the following documents with you:
- Passport, valid six months into the future
- Valid F-1 visa. Please see Visa Renewal for instructions on how to renew your visa.
- OPT authorized I-20 with a valid travel signature endorsed within the last six months.
- Valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD card)
- Job offer letter (if available)
- Negative COVID test results.
- Full vaccination for COVID-19 (as of November 8, 2021)
- Bring a letter from your employer explaining the nature of the employment activities outside of the U.S. if you will be traveling for more than 30 days. Travels may not exceed 5 months.