Skip to main content
Departments and employers

J-1 Student Non-Degree

Non-degree seeking student

An individual attending ASU for a prescribed program of academic activity which does not lead to a degree from ASU may get a J-1 visa as a non-degree seeking student.


  • Programs must be for a minimum of three weeks

  • Program activity must equate to a full-time work load.  Must be confirmed in prescribed course of study from faculty supervisor.

  • Students must have a substantial portion (at least 51%) of their funding coming from a source other than personal or family funds. Such funds may be identified as a scholarship, fellowship or a grant/award from another organization.

Application Overview

Apply to the ISSC to obtain a DS-2019. We will issue the DS-2019 within 7-10 working days of a complete application.

  • Submit the application 2-6 months before the start date. This allows time for the student intern to apply for a visa at a U.S. Consulate.
  • A non-degree seeking student stay is limited to two years.

Sponsoring a J-1 Non-Degree Student

Departments will submit a J-1 Scholar Initial Request for a prospective J-1 scholar through our Sunapsis system. Any department user submitting an application first has to go through a Canvas training course to be granted access to the system. Please enroll here

Be sure to include these supporting documents in the application:

Within 7-10 working days of receiving a complete application, you will receive an email confirming the student’s DS-2019 package is ready for pick up. We will also include a copy of the student’s DS-2019 for your records.

Funding Documentation

Funding documentation showing ability to cover current estimates of monthly living expenses.

How to show documentation of funds:

  • an official dated bank statement must be provided
  • all accounts must be easily accessible and liquid assets
  • all documents must be in English (otherwise, an official English translation must accompany the original)
  • all supporting documentation must be dated within the last six months
  • letters of sponsorship must include exact amount of support and dates of sponsorship

Estimates of monthly living expenses:

  • $2,500/month for the J-1
  • $1000/month for J-2 spouse and each dependent

Extending a J-1 Student Non-Degree

The student has the right to remain in the United States to complete his or her program objective provided that does not exceed the total length of time permitted by his or her program category and he/she adheres to all regulations of his/her J-1 status.

A non-degree seeking student appointment is normally held for up to one year, and may be renewed for no more than one additional year.

Submit the DS-2019 extension application and supporting documents.

  • Copy of the passport page with biographical information for the scholar and for any accompanying J-2 family member
  • Funding documentation
  • Proof of medical insurance coverage
  • Invitation/offer letter

Within 7-10 working days of receiving a complete application, we will contact the student via e-mail when the student's DS-2019 package is ready for pick up. We will also send you a copy of the student's DS-2019 via campus mail.