Skip to main content

Family and friends visiting from abroad

Do you have family or friends who would like to come to the U.S. to visit you while you are studying?

Family and friends may apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa from the U.S. Consulate. Citizens from certain countries may enter the U.S. under the U.S. Visa Waiver Program.

You should provide the following documents to your family or friends as they may be needed during the visa appointment:

Spouse and children 

If you would like to bring your spouse and/or children (under the age of 21) to the U.S. for a longer period of time during your studies, a dependent visa may be a better option.  

Extended family, including parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts and uncles, are not eligible for a dependent F-2 or J-2 visa.