Skip to main content

Visa Renewal

A valid F or J visa is only required when entering the U.S.  If you do not have any plans to leave the U.S. during your studies at ASU, then you do not need to update your visa.  If you plan to travel to your home country or another country and then return to the U.S. you must have a valid visa. The visa renewal process is similar to the first-time application process. F-1 visas cannot be renewed inside the U.S. 


Please check with the U.S. Consulate near you for the most up-to-date application procedures and requirements.


If you are planning to renew your expired student visa in your home country you must apply early and expect delays. 


If you need an updated travel signature, please submit your most current SEVIS I-20/DS-2019 form to ASU ISSC for travel endorsement at least 10 days prior to your departure.

In order to re-apply for a visa, you'll need these documents:


SEVIS I-20/DS-2019 form with an updated travel signature.


Passport - Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements)


Financial guarantee (i.e., current semester TA/RA letter, bank statement obtained within the last six months).

Submitting your visa application

In order to apply for an F-1 or J-1 student visa, you must complete Form DS-160. This form now requires applicants to provide information on all social media platforms they have used within the last five years. As such, you will be required to provide the following:

  • Username, screen name, handle or other identifier for each social media platform you use or have used.

  • Your current email address and phone number.

  • Any email addresses and phone numbers you have used in the past five years.

Please note: You will not be required to provide your passwords for any of these accounts.

Before you begin the online visa application, please gather the above information and make sure your social media privacy settings are up to date. 

Tips for a successful visa interview

  1. The consular officer may ask questions regarding any public information that is available on your social media accounts. Please be prepared to answer their questions.

  2. Be prepared to demonstrate ties to your home country. Ties to your home country are the things that connect you to your hometown, homeland or current place of residence (i.e., job, family, financial prospects that you own or will inherit, investments, etc).

  3. Practice your English in advance, as the interview will be conducted in English.

  4. Unless you are under 18 years old, do not bring parents or family members with you to your interview.

  5. Prepare to articulate why the program you will study in the U.S. will help or relates to your professional goals in your home country.

  6. Answer all questions concisely with the appropriate information.

  7. Be ready to explain any documents that you submitted during your application process.

  8. It is harder for students from certain countries to obtain visas, so expect potential challenges or delays in processing.

  9. Your main purpose to come to the U.S. is to study. You must clearly articulate your plan to return home after you have finished your degree.

  10. If you have dependents that will stay at home while you study in the U.S., be prepared to share how they will support themselves in your absence.

  11. Remain positive. It can be a tricky and challenging process, but a positive attitude can go a long way.

Administrative processing

From the U.S. Department of State: When administrative processing is required, the consular officer will inform the applicant at the end of the interview. The duration of the administrative processing will vary based on the individual circumstances of each case. At the conclusion of the administrative processing period, the consular officer might conclude that an applicant is now qualified for the visa for which they applied. The officer may also conclude that the applicant remains ineligible for a visa. Visa applicants are reminded to apply early for their visas, well in advance of the anticipated travel date.

From ASU’s International Students and Scholars Center: If you are experiencing administrative processing delays longer than 30 days, please email

Visa denials

Some students will be denied a visa if the consular officer determines they are ineligible. Many students with a denied F-1 or J-1 visa application are not able to prove sufficient ties to their home country under INA section 214(b). 

If your visa was denied, we recommend submitting a new visa application once you have addressed the concerns of the Consular Officer. 

If this will impact your ability to arrive on time to ASU to begin your studies, please email

Automatic Revalidation

Automatic Revalidation allows certain nonimmigrants to re-enter the U.S. with an expired U.S. visa stamp in their valid passport after visiting Canada, Mexico, or an adjacent island for less than 30 days. This includes individuals in F status.*  Under this provision, the expired nonimmigrant visa is considered to be automatically extended to the date of readmission. Individuals who have changed their status from within the U.S. but do not possess a visa stamp for their current status may also be readmitted to the U.S. under Automatic Revalidation using a valid or expired visa stamp from a prior nonimmigrant classification.  For the most up-to-date information, visit the website of the Department of State or the Department of Homeland SecurityCustoms and Border Protection.

Frequently asked questions


Since you remain in F-1 status while you are on Post-OPT, the same visa renewal information applies. Keep in mind, you are allowed to remain in the US on an expired F-1 visa for the duration of your program and any Post-OPT is over. Only if you are traveling outside of the US will you need an unexpired visa to re-enter the US.

Documents needed for visa renewal purposes: Post-OPT I-20 with valid travel signature, passport (your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States unless exempt by country-specific agreements), valid EAD card, and proof of employment. However, each Embassy or consulate may have its own requirements.  ISSC recommends students consult with the US Embassy or Consulate prior to renewing the visa.