Arriving at ASU

Major and program changes

If you are planning to change your major or degree program, you must receive your sponsor’s approval prior to making any changes.


Changing your major or degree program without the approval of your sponsor can be considered a serious violation of your scholarship policies.

To change your major, follow this process:


Get sponsor approval

As a sponsored student, you must be enrolled in the major your sponsor approved. If you would like to change your major, you must consult with your sponsor first to obtain permission.


Contact your ASU Academic Advisor

After being given permission by your sponsor, work with your academic advisor to change your major.


Contact the ISSC. Inform the ISSC of your major change by doing the following:

  • Submit an updated financial guarantee with your new major following the submission instructions, or, if your sponsor approved the change via email, forward the email to
  • Send an email to letting us know you have changed your major. In the email subject line, please write “Request for Updated I-20 .”  Be sure to include your 10-digit ASU ID number in your email.

If all documentation is in order, we will process a new I-20 that reflects your new major. We will notify you by email when your new I-20 is ready to be picked up at the ISSC.