Maintaining status

Home / F-1/J-1 students / Getting started

As an ASU student, you will need to maintain your F-1 and J-1 status. The ISSC is here to advise and assist you in maintaining your status.

Familiarize yourself with the points below: 


Enrollment (FTE)


Keep contact info current

  • If you move, you must update your residential address via MyASU within 10 days.  Please follow the example here. Please review these instructions on how to Update your LOCAL and SEVIS address on My ASU

  • Your demographic information includes your name, date of birth, gender, country of citizenship, and country of birth. If there is an update to this information, submit an F-1 Demographic Update eForm (in F-1 Student Services) or the J-1 Demographic Update eForm (in J-1 Student Services) through the ISSC eForm Portal.


Keep immigration documents current

Keep your I-20 or DS-2019 valid

The I-20/DS-2019 identifies you as a student at ASU so please keep your I-20/DS-2019 valid at all times. 

  • If this document is lost or damaged, please request a replacement from the ISSC.
  • If any information on the form changes (name, major, program end date) please notify the ISSC.
  • If you cannot complete your degree program by your I-20/DS-2019 expiration date, you must submit the extension request to the ISSC before that your expiration date.

This document can be invalidated should you fail to follow the terms and conditions. Read page three of your I-20.

Keep your original I-20s or DS-2019s indefinitely.

Keep your passport valid

This is your legal identification in the U.S. All other government documents are based upon your passport.

  • Regularly check your expiration date and request a renewal from your country’s embassy at least six months before it expires.

Keep your I-94 admission number/record valid

This document is proof of your legal F-1 or J-1 status in the U.S.

  • If you enter the U.S. by plane, you have to access an electronic I-94 online from Customs and Border Protection.
  • If you enter the US by land or sea, you will get an I-94 card (small white paper stapled inside your passport).

Your I-94 must indicate D/S which means that you got admitted to the U.S. and your F-1 or J-1 status is valid until the Duration of Status date.

Your Duration of Status in the United States is based upon the time required to complete your degree.



Health Insurance

Health insurance is mandatory and automatically billed to your ASU billing account every semester.


Authorized employment (CPT and OPT)