Skip to main content
Replacing a lost, damaged, or stolen I-20 or DS-2019

Extending Your Current I-20

F-1 and J-1 immigration regulations require students to maintain a full course of study and make academic progress toward the completion of their degree program.  If you will not be completing your degree program by the expiration date on your form you must obtain an extension in order to continue your studies and maintain your status.  Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 extension requests must be submitted within 60 days of their expiration and no later than 30 days before the expiration of their form. 

We cannot extend your I-20 or DS-2019 once it expires! The extension process can take up to 10 business days.  Please plan accordingly.

F-1 Students

How to Apply for an I-20 Extension


Ask your academic advisor, faculty advisor or dissertation chair for a recommendation letter.

  • This letter must include academic justification for why you need more time to complete your degree program and your new anticipated program completion date.

    • Requirements for the justification letter can be found here:

    • If you are a Phd or Master’s thesis student and have an internship/CPT plan, it must be indicated in the form with justification as to why it is a requirement or a planned option. 
  • Additionally, if you are a Graduate Student, you should also complete the Student Timeline for Completion form.  You will need to list all of the tasks that you need to complete for your degree program and have it signed by your faculty advisor or academic advisor.


Verify that your local address in My ASU is your current U.S. residential address.


Gather the following required documents:


Submit the Extension Request for I-20 eForm via the ISSC eForm Portal.

  • If you have F-2 dependents, your dependent I-20(s) will be also be extended.

If additional information or documentation is needed, the ISSC will contact you directly by email or phone.

You will receive an email from the ISSC when your extended I-20 is ready.