J-1 student regulations require you to be full-time every semester and to make academic progress toward your degree, so it’s unusual to need more time. However, there may be extraordinary circumstances. The student must contact their J-1 program sponsor and their academic advisor if an extension request is necessary.
The student must firstly consult with their program sponsor to explain why an extension request is needed
The student must meet with his/her Academic Advisor to lay out his/her program of study
Apply to the ISSC to obtain a DS-2019. We will issue the DS-2019 within 7-10 working days of a complete application.
- Submit application no earlier than 60 days from your program end date and no later than 14 days (two weeks) prior to your program end date.
- The length of stay depends on the duration the student is required to complete his/her degree program.
Extending a J-1 Student
Students must provide the following documents to the ISSC for review:
1. A letter from your Academic Advisor stating academic justification(s) why you need more time to complete your degree.
- Immigration regulations require an exact determination of the date when a student completes studies. Completion date used for undergraduates is the last day of class and, in most cases, graduation date. For graduate students, it is the defense date or date of dissertation approval after defense, comprehensive exam date or result date, project defense or whichever option the student has for the degree program to be completed
Students must choose the closest approximate completion date based on a realistic time frame
Refrain from the use of “graduation date” in the letter if not applicable
Letter must be typed on department letterhead with the advisor’s signature
Letter will be reviewed for the required information indicated above.
Student Timeline of Completion (for graduate students only). You may request this by emailing email@example.com
The letter must include, but is not limited to:
- additional courses that need to be completed
- topic of your research
- progress made
- barriers to project completion (if any)
- your new anticipated degree completion date (MM/DD/YYYY)
2. Valid financial guarantee.
3. Proof of dependent health insurance, if applicable.
4. Photocopy of passport valid at least six months into the future.
5. Photocopy of most current I-94.
Within 7-10 working days of receiving a completed application, we will contact the student via e-mail when the student's DS-2019 package is ready for pick up. We will also send you a copy of the student's DS-2019 via campus mail.