Extending your DS-2019
J-1 visa regulations require you to enroll full-time every semester and to make academic progress toward your degree, so it’s unusual to need more time. However, there may be extraordinary circumstances. Students must contact their J-1 program sponsor and their academic advisor if an extension request is necessary.
- The student must firstly consult with their program sponsor to explain why an extension request is needed. If the DS-2019 was not issued by ASU, the student will need to contact their sponsor for an extension.
- The student must meet with his/her Academic Advisor to discuss the timeline for completion of their program of study
Apply with the ISSC to obtain a DS-2019. We will issue the DS-2019 within 10 business days once a complete application is submitted.
- Submit an application no earlier than 60 days from your program end date and no later than 14 days (two weeks) prior to your program end date.
- The extension length of the DS-2019 depends on the duration the student is required to complete his/her degree program.
How to Apply for a DS-2019 Extension Extending a J-1 Student
Ask your academic advisor, faculty advisor or dissertation chair for a recommendation letter.
This letter must include academic justification for why you need more time to complete your degree program and your new anticipated program completion date.
Requirements for the justification letter can be found here: https://issc.asu.edu/academic-advisor-letter
1. A letter from your Academic Advisor stating academic justification(s) why you need more time to complete your degree.
- Immigration regulations require an exact determination of the date when a student completes studies. Completion date used for undergraduates is the last day of class and, in most cases, graduation date. For graduate students, it is the defense date or date of dissertation approval after defense, comprehensive exam date or result date, project defense or whichever option the student has for the degree program to be completed
- Students must choose the closest approximate completion date based on a realistic time frame
- Refrain from the use of “graduation date” in the letter if not applicable
- Letter must be typed on department letterhead with the advisor’s signature
- Letter will be reviewed for the required information indicated above.
- Additionally, if you are a Graduate Student, you should also complete the Student Timeline for Completion form. You will need to list all of the tasks that you need to complete for your degree program and have it signed by your faculty advisor or academic advisor.
The letter must include, but is not limited to:
- additional courses that need to be completed
- topic of your research
- progress made
- barriers to project completion (if any)
- your new anticipated degree completion date (MM/DD/YYYY)
2. Valid financial guarantee.
3. Proof of dependent health insurance, if applicable.
4. Photocopy of passport valid at least six months into the future.
5. Photocopy of most current I-94.
Within 7-10 working days of receiving a completed application, we will contact the student via e-mail when the student's DS-2019 is ready for pick up.
Submit the J-1 DS-2019 Extension eForm via the ISSC eForm Portal.
- If you have J-2 dependents, your dependent DS-2019(s) will also be extended.
If additional information or documentation is needed, the ISSC will contact you directly by email or phone.
You will receive an email from the ISSC when your extended DS-2019 is ready.