Skip to main content

Welcome to a new academic year at Arizona State University!

As an F-1 visa holder in the U.S., you are eligible to work on campus when you are enrolled in classes at ASU. Working on campus allows you to gain valuable professional work experience as well as the ability to make money to support your studies.

To be eligible to work on campus, you must meet full-time enrollment requirements or have an approved Reduced Course Load Request for the Spring 2024 semester. As a reminder, working off campus without authorization will put your immigration status in jeopardy. This includes working at local restaurants, gas stations, and other non-campus retail stores. This includes unpaid work as well. If you need off-campus work authorization, please review our website.

Once you have secured employment, you will be eligible to apply for a Social Security number (SSN) if you do not already have one. An SSN is required for you to work in the U.S. but does by itself not authorize you to work off campus.

Please note: You do not need an SSN to open a bank account, rent an apartment, start a mobile phone contract, or obtain a credit card.

Have questions? Contact the ISSC.

Send an email
Give us a call
Virtual drop-in immigration advising
Mondays 9–11 a.m.
Tuesdays 1–3 p.m.
Thursdays 9–11 a.m.
Fridays 1–3 p.m.
(Arizona Time)
In-person drop-in immigration advising
Mondays 1–3 p.m.
Tuesdays 9–11 a.m.
Thursdays 1–3 p.m.
Fridays 9-11 a.m.
(Arizona Time)