Skip to main content
Silhouette jumping against sunset background, text stating thrive in your career

The International Students and Scholars Center would like to extend a huge congratulations to all our international student graduates for the accomplishments you have made during the time you’ve spent with us.

As an F-1 student, you are given a 60-day grace period after your degree completion date during which you may choose to apply for Optional Practical Training, start a new program at ASU, transfer to a new institution, apply for a change in visa status, or leave the U.S. Please keep in mind that on-campus employment cannot continue after your degree completion date. Undergraduate students cannot work after May 9, 2022. Graduate students should work with their academic advisor to determine their program completion date.

Apply for Optional Practical Training

You can work in the U.S. after graduation. Applications for OPT can be submitted before your degree completion date and must be received by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services no later than 60 days after your degree completion date.

Start a new program at ASU

If you are admitted to a new program at ASU, you must request an I-20 from the ISSC reflecting the new degree program.

Transfer to a new institution

If you are admitted to a new institution, you must contact the ISSC to begin the SEVIS record transfer process.

Apply for a change of status

If you have applied to change your immigration status, you should contact the ISSC immediately after receiving a notice of action from the USCIS to get your record updated in SEVIS.

Leave the U.S.

If you have completed your degree and do not choose one of the options above, you will have a 60-day grace period during which you must depart the U.S. If you decide to leave the U.S., please complete the Reporting Student Exit from ASU eForm so we can update your SEVIS record.

You are advised to keep your immigration documents indefinitely, including all of your I-20s. The ISSC keeps student files for only a limited period of time and will not be able to assist with requests for documents or verification of student status after these files have been destroyed.

We wish you all the best in your upcoming endeavors.