Skip to main content
Departing ASU

Transferring Out

F-1 and J-1 students leaving ASU to attend another U.S. institution must request that the ISSC releases their SEVIS record to their new school.

F-1 Transfer Out Process

As an F-1 student immigration regulations require that you maintain your F-1 status in order to be eligible to request for your SEVIS record to be transferred out. If you have already completed your degree program you have a 60-day grace period to transfer your SEVIS record to a new school.  Please refer here for information on how to determine your program completion date: 

How to Request for SEVIS Transfer Out

Step 01

Apply for and gain admission to a new SEVIS-certified school.

Some schools may request that ASU verify your F-1 status as part of their admission process.

Step 02

Once you have gained admission to your new school

  • Submit the SEVIS Transfer Out Request eForm through the ISSC eForm Portal.

  • You will need the following information to fill out the eForm:

    • your admission letter from your new school

    • your new school's transfer-in form (if applicable).

    • Information about your school and their Designated School Official (DSO)*, including:

      • DSO name

      • School name and campus or location

      • SEVIS school code

*Usually you can obtain the name of the DSO from the admission office.

  • Reminders:

    • If you have been attending ASU as a student sponsored from Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates you may be required to show your sponsor has approved your transfer. We recommend all sponsored students contact their sponsor prior to starting the transfer-out process.

    • The eForm will ask you to provide a SEVIS Release Date.  This date represents the day that you are asking ASU to release your SEVIS record to your new school. This date must be after you have completed all your academic activities at ASU and before you begin classes at your new school.

    • For OPT students, you may use any date while you are on Post-OPT and no later than your 60-day grace period. 

    • Once your SEVIS record has been released your new school may produce a new transfer pending I-20 for you.

To transfer credit hours earned at ASU, please work with your new school and University Registrar Services.

Please note: If your new institution has an online transfer-in form, please use as the contact email and the name of the DSO/advisor as listed on your most recent I-20. Please do not use the DSO/advisor's direct email address as it will not be processed. 

J-1 Transfer Out Process

J-1 Exchange Students

J-1 students who are in the U.S. through ASU Study Abroad and will not complete the exchange program with ASU, must consult with the ASU Study Abroad Office - International Exchange Student Team regarding a request to transfer to another institution.  If you are completing your exchange program at ASU, you must contact ASU ISSC prior to the end of your 30 day grace period to request a SEV IS transfer out to another institution.