Skip to main content
Departing ASU

Taking a break from study

Types of breaks available

If you need to take a break from your studies for a short time period, please come to the ISSC for advisement on how an absence from studies will impact your F-1/J-1 status.

Next Steps for Leave of Absence, Complete Session Withdrawal & Compassionate Withdrawal

Taking a break from studies will impact your SEVIS record. Here's what you should do:

Step 01

First, discuss and obtain approval for the withdrawal from your academic unit.

Step 02

Request signature/approval from the ISSC. We will review the immigration implications with you so you know how this will influence your F-1/J-1 status.

Step 03

Once withdrawal is complete, your SEVIS Record will be closed, meaning your I-20 will be no longer valid for use. You will be required to depart the United States within 15 days of approval.

How will a Withdrawal affect your OPT eligibility? 

If you take a break from your studies and return later, your OPT clock will be reset. When you return to study, you have to maintain your F-1 status for at least one academic year before you are eligible for OPT. If you only have one semester left to complete your degree program, you will not be eligible for OPT.

Returning after Taking a Break from Study

If you would like to return to ASU after taking a break, please review our Returning Student webpage for more instructions. You must start the process to return at least three months prior to the semester you will be returning. 

Quick Re-entry

If you are an undergraduate degree-seeking student who previously attended ASU but who has not been enrolled at ASU for up to seven consecutive fall or spring semesters, you may be eligible to return through Quick Re-entry. You do not need to submit a new application or application fee. You may sign in to My ASU and register for classes. You may have a hold or Priority Tasks that you need to complete before you are able to register for classes.

International students are still responsible for all SEVIS requirements and should check with the International Students and Scholars Office at ASU.

If your absence is due to military deployment, service on an official church mission or with a foreign aid service of the Federal government, or a permanent disability, you should submit a Leave of Absence.