Skip to main content
J-1 scholar travel

Canada, Mexico and adjacent islands for J-1 scholars

J-1 scholars whose visa has expired may be able to return to the U.S. after traveling to Mexico, Canada and neighboring islands/U.S. territories under the following conditions:

The automatic visa revalidation process re-validates that you are eligible to enter the U.S. for this single trip. It is not considered a new admission to the U.S. nor a renewal of a visa.  If you are considering using the automatic visa revalidation process, please contact ISSC to set up an appointment to meet with an advisor.