Checking your I-94 record when traveling

Home / J-1 Scholars / Checking your I-94 record when traveling

An I-94 is an arrival and departure record that is issued by a Customs and Border Protection officer, in either paper or electronic format, to foreign visitors entering the U.S.

  • Most arrival or departure records are now created electronically upon arrival. Visitors are provided with an annotated stamp in their foreign passport.

  • If provided a paper form, the admitting CBP officer generally attaches the I-94 to the visitor's passport and stamps the departure date on the form.

  • Visitors must exit the U.S. on or before that date stamped on the form or in the passport.

Commercial air or sea carrier

If a visitor departs by a commercial air or sea carrier (airlines or cruise ships), their departure from the U.S. can be independently verified and it is not necessary to take any further action, although holding on to the outbound boarding pass — if they still have it — can help facilitate reentry when coming back to the U.S.

By land

If a visitor departs by land and has a paper form I-94, the I-94 must be turned in to a CBP officer at a land border when exiting the U.S. If it is not turned in to a CBP officer at the land border, the visitor will be considered an "overstay" and they may be denied entry when they attempt to reenter the U.S. in the future.

For more information on the I-94 automation process, visit U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Check your I-94

Upon reentry, always check the admission stamp in your pass­port and electronic I-94. Make sure your I-94 accurately indicates your J-1 D/S status, the date, and loca­tion of your arrival.

If your I-94 is not marked with a D/S or Duration of Status or your I-94 cannot be retrieved from, you must immediately contact ISSC.

Some scholars may receive a paper I-94 card from the Port of Entry or Form I-515. You must contact ISSC immediately before the date indicated on your I-94. Failure to do so will jeopardize your immigration status.

US customs and border protection form

Print your I-94

Most scholars receive an entry stamp with the electronic arrival record (automated I-94).

You can print your latest I-94 record and your arrival departure information. Do not use any other website link to retrieve your I-94.