Skip to main content
J-1 scholar travel

Travel outside the U.S.

Returning to the same program sponsor

In order to avoid problems re-entering the country, consult with your program sponsor before you leave the U.S. You will need to have your DS-2019 signed and may also need a letter verifying your status as a J-1 scholar. You may also need to obtain a new U.S. visa.

Returning to a different program sponsor

You must consult in advance with your current program sponsor about your proposed travel and transfer to a new program sponsor. Your program sponsor will be able to alert you to possible problems you may encounter. If the change is permissible, you must obtain a new Form DS-2019 from the new program sponsor to which you will transfer before you attempt to re-enter the U.S.

Documents needed when entering it the U.S.:

  • Valid passport

  • Valid visa (Canadians are exempt from the visa requirement)

  • DS-2019

  • Invitation/offer letterĀ 

  • Financial documentation