Skip to main content
Arriving at ASU

Change from J-1 Status

Change from J-1 Status to F-1 Status

An F-1 student is a nonimmigrant who is pursuing a full course of study to achieve a specific educational or professional objective at an academic institution in the US. Once the educational objectives have been achieved, the F-1 student is expected to return to his or her residence abroad.

After completing your program at ASU as a J-1 student, if you would like to pursue a different level of education at ASU as an F-1 student, you should do the following:


Meet with an immigration advisor from the ISSC to discuss your plan to change your status from J-1 to F-1 status.

Please note that if you are a J-1 student/scholar who is subject to a 2 year home residency requirement, you will only be able to obtain F-1 through consular processing. If you are not subject, then you may apply through USCIS. However, you will need to maintain your J-1 status if your J-1 status will expire until your new F-1 status is approved.


Request an I-20 from the ISSC through the Change of Status eForm sent to you after your meeting with an ISSC immigration advisor.


Pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee after receiving your I-20.


Travel outside the U.S., then use your initial I-20 to apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Students using a Canadian passport do not need to obtain an F-1 visa. 

Remember to sign your I-20.


Use your new F-1 visa and initial I-20 to return to the U.S. at any time on or after the Earliest Admission Date on your I-20 and prior to the Program State Date on your I-20.


After you re-enter the U.S. through a U.S. port of entry, obtain your new I-94 detailing your F-1 status.


Log in to My ASU and complete your SEVIS New Student Check-in.