While adhering to current public health guidance from the Centers for Disease Control related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the ASU International Students and Scholars Center (ISSC) remains dedicated to helping you with your immigration-related needs. We have a dedicated team working at the Tempe office as well as remotely to you and to ensure the safety of our ASU community.
Do you have questions about your immigration status, working in the U.S., or adjusting to the American culture? We are here for you.
There are several ways you can communicate and speak with an ISSC immigration advisor:
- Live Chat (Monday - Friday 9 - 11 a.m and 1 - 3 p.m.): For general questions
- Email: For general questions
- Express advising: Limited to 10 minutes or less
- Scheduled phone or zoom appointments: Limited to 30 min for more complex issues
Please remember that no staff member of ASU is able to act as tax consultants or provide tax advice related to the completion of tax forms. For more information about tax filing, register for a Vita Tax Filing Workshop and review our Taxes website.
Post-OPT Students: For a comprehensive step-by-step review of your Post-OPT application packet and mailing instructions enroll in the Self-Guided Post-OPT Packet Review Canvas course.
Live Chat - Contact ISSC Today
Live Chat with an ISSC team member during our live chat hours. To start a chat, look for the “Chat now Online” widget during live chat hours. Live Chat is for general questions only. Live Chat hours: Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
If you cannot find an answer on our website, please send an email from your ASU email account. One of our immigration advisors will respond to your email in as little as 48 business hours for most inquiries.
Keep in mind that several of our processes, such as applying for employment authorization, are cyclical and may require additional time during peak season.
We ask that you wait for at least 2 business days for a response to your email from our office before following up.
If your question is too complicated to answer via email, you may be asked to schedule a follow-up appointment.
Virtual Scheduled Phone or Zoom Appointments
Appointments are for more complex issues and are limited to 30 minutes. To schedule an appointment with an ISSC staff member, please click on the button below.
Schedule an appointment for topics such as:
- Change of your current immigration status to F-1
- Dismissal or disqualification
- Violation of student immigration status: Not enrolled full-time (under-enrollment or enrollment for too many online courses)
- Medical or Compassionate Withdrawal, or a Leave of Absence - a situation where you believe more information or personal assistance is needed
- Personal issues and cultural adjustment difficulties
- Liaison assistance with other ASU Departments or colleges (Counseling Services, Student Advocacy and Assistance, Student Rights and Responsibilities, or others)
- Reinstatement of F-1 status
Phone appointment instructions
You will be called at the time of your appointment on the number listed in your appointment reservation.
Zoom appointment instructions
When it's time for your appointment, please use the Zoom link that was emailed to you prior to your appointment, so you can connect with the staff member. Please be sure your zoom name matches with MyASU.
If you need to reschedule or cancel your appointment, please be sure to email us to let us know.
ISSC offers virtual express advising via Zoom Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3 - 5 p.m. Express advising is limited to quick questions (10 minutes or less). We recommend scheduling a virtual phone or zoom appointment if you anticipate needing more time outside express advising.
The link to the Express Advising Zoom room will appear at 3 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday.
Join express advising for questions about:
- Change of Degree Level
- Change of Major
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Enrollment Issues
- I-20 Extension
- F-2 Dependents
- Hold on Account
- International Travel
- On-campus Employment
- Pre-Completion OPT (Pre-OPT)
- Post-Completion OPT (Post-OPT)
- Reduced Course Load
- STEM OPT Extension
- Social Security Number
- Taking a Break From Study
- Transfer Out
- Visa Issues