International students returning to ASU after an absence to complete their degree program in which they were previously enrolled must follow these procedures.
When planning a return to ASU, you should allow enough time to receive a new I-20 and apply for a new visa, if required.
To activate a new F-1 status and request a new I-20 from the International Students and Scholars Center (ISSC) to return to Arizona State University, complete the following steps:
Plan ahead!Start the process to return at least three month before the semester you will be returning. Please keep in mind that ISSC has a processing time of up to 10 business days.
Gather your documents and information
- You must clear any holds NOT placed by ISSC listed on My ASU Priority Tasks. Any outstanding financial and academic holds blocking enrollment must be removed before we can process your request. The ISSC hold will be removed once your new initial I-20 has been issued.
- Biographical page of your passport valid 6 months into the future.
- Most recent issued F-1 visa issued to you (even if expired).
- Financial Guarantee | Proof of Funding for one academic year.
Log in to the MyISSC eForm Portal with your ASU log-in credentials (ASUrite and password)
- Submit the New Initial I-20 eForm through the MyISSC eForm Portal in the F-1 Student Category.
- After you submit the eForm, keep in mind that it will be routed to your ASU Academic Advisor or Faculty Advisor.
- Please ensure that they are able to confirm your academic standing including your new anticipated completion date.
We will contact you!Allow up to 10 business days to review your eForm submission. Your new I-20 will be ready once the eForm has been submitted, reviewed and approved.
Review initial I-20 for accuracy.
Read and sign the Student Attestation. If you are under 18 years old, please ask your parent(s) or guardian to also sign the I-20.
Pay the SEVIS fee for your new initial I-20Print the receipt (only do this after you receive your new I-20/DS-2019 because you need the new SEVIS number):
- Log on to www.fmjfee.com.
- Use the new SEVIS ID number shown on your new initial I-20.
- Use the School Code from your new initial I-20 in School Information section.
Plan to enter the U.S. within 30 daysof your new program start date (as stated under the Earliest Admission Date on page one of your I-20).
Complete the SEVIS New Student Check-in processAfter your re-entry to the United States, please complete the SEVIS New Student Check-in process no later than the first day of the semester. Although this is not your first time at ASU, reporting this arrival is necessary to activate your new SEVIS record.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ASU!