Skip to Main Page Content

Maintaining Status

Home / Status / Students / Transferring Out

Transferring Out

F-1 and J-1 students leaving ASU to attend another U.S. institution should request that ASU ISSC release their SEVIS records to the new school.

J-1 degree-seeking students who do not have DS-2019 issued by ASU must contact their J-1 Exchange Visitor sponsor to transfer out their SEVIS records.

F-1 Students

F-1 immigration regulations require students to maintain F-1 status in order to be eligible to request for SEVIS transfer out. F-1 students who have already completed their degree program will have a 60-day grace period to transfer their SEVIS record to the new school. (Graduate students, see information on determining your completion date)

How to Request for SEVIS Transfer Out

Step One:  Apply for and gain admission to a new SEVIS-certified school.
  • Some schools may request that ASU verify your F-1 status as part of their admission process. If this is the case, please submit the form to the ASU ISSC using the SEVIS Transfer Out Request eForm. ASU ISSC will then review and send the completed form to your new school.

  • If your school does not have the above requirement, go to Step Two.

Step Two: Once you have gained admission to your new school
  • Submit the SEVIS Transfer Out Request eForm to ASU ISSC.
  • You will need the following information to fill out the eForm:
    • your admission letter from your new school
    • your new school's transfer-In form (if applicable).
    • Information about your school and their Designated School Official (DSO)*, including:
      • DSO name
      • School name and campus or location
      • SEVIS school code

*Usually you can obtain the name of the DSO from the admission office you have  been working with, or the international student advisor at the international office at your new school will be a DSO.

  • Reminders:
    • If you have been attending ASU as a student sponsored from Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates you may be required to show your sponsor has approved your transfer. We recommend all sponsored students contact their sponsor prior to starting the transfer-out process. 
    • Your DSO will be asked to provide a SEVIS Release Date.  This date represents the day that you are asking ASU to release your SEVIS record to your new school. This date must be after you have completed all your academic activities at ASU and before you begin classes at your new school.
    • For OPT students, you may use any date while you are on Post-OPT and no later than the 60-day grace period. 
    • Once your SEVIS record has been released your new school may produce a new transfer pending I-20 for you.

To transfer credit hours earned at ASU, please work with your new school and ASU University Registrar Services.


J-1 Degree-seeking Students

DS-2019 issued by ASU

If you are completing your degree program at ASU, you must contact ASU ISSC prior to the end of your 30 day grace period for further advisement on how to request for SEVIS transfer out to other institution.

DS-2019 not issued by ASU

Please contact your J-1 Exchange Visitor sponsor to transfer out your SEVIS records.


J-1 Exchange Students

J-1 students who are in the U.S. through ASU Study Abroad and will not complete the exchange program with ASU, must consult with the ASU Study Abroad Office - International Exchange Student Team regarding a request to transfer to another institution.

If you are completing your exchange program at ASU, you must contact ASU ISSC prior to the end of your 30 day grace period to request a SEV IS transfer out to another institution.